How To Get Social Worker Jobs In USA
If you are seeing this article, it means that you are a social worker and you are looking for social worker jobs in the US. Well, you are on the right web page as we are going to show you how you can get social worker jobs in the US.
The United States is seen as one of the best countries of world to work and live in and this is because it has a stable economy and offers the best quality of life to its citizens and permanent residents.
One good thing you should know is that there are a lot of job opportunities in the United States and if you are looking for social worker jobs, you would easily find one as there are a lot of job opportunities for social workers in the US.
So ensure that you follow us through to the end of this wonderful post as we are going to show you how you can get social worker jobs in the US and move to the US and start working.
So let’s proceed…
Who Is A Social Worker?
According to Wikipedia, a social worker is professional that is concerned with meeting the basic needs of individuals, families, groups, communities and society at large in order to enhance their individual and collective well-being.
A social worker can be anything from child protection case managers to licensed clinical counselors.
According to the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) “The primary mission of the social work profession is to enhance human well-being and also help to meet the basic and complex needs of all people with priority on those who are vulnerable, oppressed and living in poverty.”
So as a social worker, you could work in different areas like hospitals, non-profit organizations, courtrooms, nursing homes, adoption agencies, addiction rehabilitation centres and so on.
As a social worker, you will need to have good communication skills, empathy, organizational and time management skills, problem-solving skills and patience.
Types Of Social Workers
Social workers can be classified into the following types and they are:
- Child and Family Social Worker
This social worker deals with children and their parents or guardian. They help to provide solutions to any challenges or problems the families are facing. They work with families experiencing illness and give resources to parents who need support to help them take care of their children.
Child and family social workers receive an average salary of USD40,531 per year.
- Health Care Social Workers
This social worker takes care of people in the hospital, helping them to manage their illness and also providing information to make it easy for them to understand their diagnosis.
They help patient to recover and also take them home. They also help them to have a better lifestyle.
These social workers could earn around USD45,045 to USD52,07 per year on average.
- Clinical Social Worker
This social worker gives therapy to individual or families who are undergoing crisis or trauma. They analyze, assess and diagnose mental illness.
The average salary of a clinical social worker ranges from USD603,384 to USD68,216 per year.
- School social worker
This social worker is responsible for parent, teachers and students. They give the teachers the right knowledge or the method to use to educate the students for better performance. Also, they provide counseling for parents and students.
These social workers could earn around USD43,293 to USD48,394 per year on average.
- Community Social Worker
This social worker helps the community or a group of people identify the unmet need in the community. They help to organize the community, conduct assessments and also make referrals. The average salary for a community social worker is around USD37,845 to USD43,293 per year.
Eligibility Requirements To Get Social Worker Jobs In USA
For you to be eligible to apply for social worker jobs in the US, you will need to meet some requirements and they are:
- You must have at least a Bachelor’s Degree that is approved by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and other educational qualification that is similar to US educational certificate.
- You must be able to communicate fluently in English
- You must be licensed as a social worker or have a Liminal Social Worker License. You will need the state authority license to work independently.
- You must have good listening, writing and reading skills.
How To Get Social Worker Job In The US
In as much as there are a lot of job opportunities for social workers in the United States, it is not always easy to get these jobs. This is because only permanent residents are given federal jobs. But as a non-resident that wants to work in the US, you can work in a company or non-profit organization as a social worker.
How To Apply For Social Worker Jobs In The US
Here, we will be highlighting some guidelines on how you can start your application for social workers jobs in the US.
- Go to as many job listing websites as you can like Indeed, LinkedIn, SimplyHired etc.
- Search online for social work jobs in USA for foreigners
- You will see a list of jobs that you can apply for. You can look through the list to see the one you will apply for.
- Check the qualification, job description and also the benefits of working in that job.
- Ones you are sure you meet the requirements for the job and you feel you would enjoy working there, you can proceed to applying for the job or as many jobs as you can.
You can also apply for these social worker jobs on www.usajobs.gov. this is a platform that connects job seekers with federal opportunities. It is owned by the United States Government.
As a social worker that wants to work in the US, here is how you can apply for social worker jobs on www.usajobs.gov.
- Go to https://www.usajobs.gov/
- Search for “social worker”
- You will be asked to give the following information: country, state, city and zip code under the space provided. Then, tap “search”
- You can make use of the sections on the screen to make your search more specific. With this, you will be able to know the type of job you are applying for whether it is a federal government or non-profit organization.
- Go through the list of jobs available on the page and select the one you prefer.
- Make sure you have checked the qualifications, description and duties. Once you are done, click on “Apply Now” on the left-hand side of the page.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the duties of a social worker?
A social worker is a professional that assists people in schools, hospitals, mental health clinics etc. social workers can work with individuals or within large communities or organizations and assist with a variety of illnesses.
- How much does a social worker make?
The salary a social worker earns in the US depends on the field and qualification. According to Bureau of Labour Statistics, the median annual salary of a social worker in 2020 was around USD51,234 with the highest 10% of social workers earning more than USD85,304.
- What qualifications do I need to be a social worker in the US?
To work as a social worker in the US, you will need to have a degree in social work (BA) or master’s degree in social work.
- Can I work as a social worker in the US without a degree?
You cannot become a social worker in USA without an approved qualification.
myhomeypet.com – social worker jobs in usa
scholaro.com – how to become a social worker in the united states
wikipedia.org – who is a social worker